The mass media influences society culturally, socially and politically on a daily basis. It covers the entire spectrum of our lives; from current affairs and politics to the weather, sport, arts, and entertainment, as well as breaking news. The news media refers to a section that focuses on presenting current news to the general public through media such as print (newspapers, magazines); broadcasts (radio stations, television stations, television networks) and, increasingly, the internet (World Wide Web pages, weblogs).
Initiated by the Abu Dhabi Music & Arts Foundation, Young Media Leaders seeks to empower a new generation of Emirati students with the knowledge and the self-confidence to become opinion leaders in the media.
To achieve this, YML intends:
- To introduce the media as a viable career option to students.
- To prepare students to play an active role in the ever-growing global media movement.
- To give students the practical tools to tell their story through a variety of media format.
- To encourage curiosity and a desire to learn.
- To expose students to a broad spectrum of the modern media: print, broadcast, internet.
- To develop both creative and critical thinking.
- To improve communication skills in Arabic and English.
- To provide students with an open and positive forum for discussion, debate and expression.
- To provide a firm educational grounding in one or more areas of the media.
- To expand students’ world view and to broaden their social, cultural and intellectual horizons.
- To create a network of young media leaders in Abu Dhabi.
- To enhance self-confidence.
We deliver, by offering the following opportunities:
- Regular academic training (lectures and workshops) with regional and international media professionals.
- Access to professional media mentors and media entities.
- Overseas study visits .
- Facilitation of internships with leading media entities .
- Regular public presentation of student work in the form of a magazine.
- Full participation in an online news website dedicated to YML students.
- Merit-based awards and certificates to recognize work, effort and progress.
- Facilitation of network of young media leaders in Abu Dhabi and the region.